Reminiscing in the Parlor : Leisurely Viewing Stereographs
Throne Room, Tuileries Palace, Paris, France
Processing Method:
Albumen Print
Print Size:
7 x 3.438
One tissue stereograph of the Throne Room, Tuileries Palace, Paris, France. The photograph shows a dias with two thrones and elaborate curtains and wall treatments. This apparently is an image of the palace before it was destroyed in 1871, according to duplicate photos on a website for the reconstruction of the palace. There is a decorative embossed edge around the photographs. The back has the initials "M.F.H," the name of the site, and the date "'77." This stereograph is part of a number of tissue cards and seems to have been from a grand tour of England, Germany, Italy and France.
The Tuileries Palace stood in Paris, France, on the right bank of the River Seine until 1871, when it was destroyed.

The final completion of the long planned Louvre-Tuileries complex was not to last long. On May 23, 1871, during the suppression of the Paris Commune, twelve men under the orders of a Commune extremist, Dardelle, set the Tuileries on fire at 7 pm, using petroleum, liquid tar, and turpentine. The fire lasted for 48 hours and entirely consumed the palace. It was only on May 25 that the Paris fire brigades and the 26th battalion of the Africa Chasseurs managed to put out the fire. Other portions of the Louvre were also set on fire by Commune extremists and entirely destroyed. The museum itself was only miraculously saved.

The ruins of the Tuileries stood on the site for eleven years. Although the roofs and the inside of the palace had been utterly destroyed by the fire, the stone shell of the palace remained intact, and restoration was possible. Other monuments of Paris also set on fire by Commune extremists, such as the Paris City Hall, were rebuilt in the 1870s. After much hesitation, the Third Republic eventually decided not to restore the ruins of the Tuileries, which had become a symbol of the former royal and imperial regimes. On the other hand, the portions of the Louvre that had also been destroyed by fire were rebuilt in their original style by the French government.

In 1882 the French National Assembly voted for the demolition of the ruins, which were sold to a private entrepreneur for the sum of 33,300 gold francs (approximately US$130,000 in 2005), despite the protests of Baron Haussmann and other members of French artistic and architectural circles, who opposed what they thought was a crime against French arts and history. The demolition was started in February 1883 and completed on September 30, 1883; bits of stones and marbles from the palace were sold by the private entrepreneur as souvenirs.
Click to Enlarge