Reminiscing in the Parlor : Leisurely Viewing Stereographs
Title:
Opéra Garnier, Paris, France
Date:
August 1875
Place:
France/Paris
Print Size:
6.875 x 3.375
Description:
One stereograph of the Opéra Garnier, Paris, France. The photograph shows the front of the building. The front has the title pasted on it and the back has the owner's initials and a long description of the site. M. F. H. took a European tour in July and August of 1875, traveling from Belgium to Switzerland, Italy, France, England and Scotland. From other stereographs, it is clear this is from that trip.
Notes:
The Palais Garnier, also known as the Opéra de Paris as well as the Opéra Garnier, is a 2,200 seat opera house at the northern end of the Avenue de l'Opéra in the IXe arrondissement of Paris. A grand landmark designed by Charles Garnier in the Neo-Baroque style, it is regarded as one of the architectural masterpieces of its time.

Upon its inauguration in 1875, the opera house was officially named the Académie Nationale de Musique - Théâtre de l'Opéra. It retained this title until 1978 when it was re-named the Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris. After the opera company chose the Opéra Bastille as their principal theatre upon its completion in 1989, the theatre was re-named as the Palais Garnier, though its more official name, the Académie Nationale de Musique, is still sprawled above the columns of its front façade. In spite of the change of names and the Opera company's relocation to the Opéra Bastille, the Palais Garnier is still known by many people as the Paris Opéra, as have all of the many theatres which have served as the principal venues of the Parisian Opera and Ballet since its founding.
Click to Enlarge
Image 
Image