Reminiscing in the Parlor : Leisurely Viewing Stereographs
Title:
Place et Porte du Peuple, Rome, Italy
Date:
1877
Photographer:
Lamy, E.
Place:
Italy/Rome
Print Size:
7 x 3.438
Description:
One stereograph of the Place et Porte du Peuple (Place of the People), Rome, Italy. The photograph shows the large Egyptian obelisk in the center of the piazza. There are people and horse drawn vehicles also in the photograph. The front of the card has the title, series "VEUS D' ITALIE", and photographer "E. Lamy" printed on it. The back has the initials "M.F.H." and the year "'77." This stereograph is part of a number of cards dated this year, from England, Germany, Italy and France.
Notes:
Located at the one of the ends of Via del Corso (the second end being Piazza Venezia), Piazza del Popolo belongs to the great places of Rome very pleasant to discover. This beautiful unit includes/understands fountains, churches and an obelisk to decorate its center. The name of the piazza del Popolo, often translated into place of the people would rather refer to a poplar which would have pushed on the mausoleum of Néron.

Arranged at the request of the Black and white Popes VI and Black and white VII at the end of the XVIIIème century, this place was decorated of the two monumental fountains at the ends and a door bored in the wall of Aurélien. The obelisk, in the center, dates from the time of Ramsès II and was brought back of Egypt by the Auguste emperor to decorate the large Maximus circus. It was last once moved in the center of the place in XVIème century by the Pope Sixth V who used them the obelisks to guide the pilgrims towards Saint Pierre. The fountain and the statues with its feet were added during the adjustment of the place.

The obelisk of the piazza del Popolo:
ORIGIN
Red granite monolith of more than 23 meters in height, carrying the cartridges of Séti Ier and Ramsès II (circa 1300 before JC) and coming from Héliopolis.

DISPLACEMENT IN ANTIQUITY
It was brought in Rome by Auguste, at the same time as the obelisk of the gnomon, into 10 before JC., and was set up on the spina of Circus Maximus.

DISPLACEMENT AT THE TIME MODERN
It was discovered under the pontificate of Gregoire XIII, broken in three pieces, in 1587; once restored, it was moved in 1589, on the order of the pope Sixte Quint, in the center of the place of santa Maria del Popolo, where it is still.
Click to Enlarge
Image 
Image