Reminiscing in the Parlor : Leisurely Viewing Stereographs
Title:
Luxembourg Palace, Paris, France
Date:
August 1875
Place:
France/Paris
Print Size:
6.875 x 3.375
Description:
One stereograph of Luxembourg Palace, Paris, France. The photograph shows the palace in the background with gardens and trees in the foreground. The front has the location name hand written on it and the back has the owner's initials and a short description of the site. M. F. H. took a European tour in July and August of 1875, traveling from Belgium to Switzerland, Italy, France, England and Scotland. From other stereographs, it is clear this is from that trip.
Notes:
The palace was originally built for Marie de Médicis, mother of king Louis XIII of France, on the site of an old hôtel particulier owned by the Duc de Piney-Luxembourg. Her architect was Salomon de Brosse. Louis commissioned the artists Nicolas Poussin and Philippe de Champaigne to decorate the Palace. However, by the time the palace had been finished, Marie de Médicis had been banished.

It was inherited by Marie's granddaughter, Anne, Duchess of Montpensier. The palace was not used until it was owned by Louis XVI's brother, the Comte de Provence. During the French Revolution, it was the center of the French Directory and later the first residence of Napoleon Bonaparte when he was First Consul of France

In the 19th century the palace was extensively remodeled, with a new garden façade by Alphonse de Gisors (1836-1841), and a cycle of paintings (1845-1847) by Eugène Delacroix that was added to the library.

The formal Luxembourg Garden (Jardin du Luxembourg) presents a 25-hectare green parterre of gravel and lawn populated with statues and provided with large basins of water where children sail model boats. In the southwest corner, there is an orchard of apple and pear trees and the théâtre des marionettes (puppet theater).
Click to Enlarge
Image 
Image