Reminiscing in the Parlor : Leisurely Viewing Stereographs
Salle de Trône, Palais du Luxembourg, Paris, France
Processing Method:
Albumen Print
Print Size:
7 x 3.438
One tissue stereograph of the Salle de Trône, Palais du Luxembourg, Paris, France. The photograph shows the elaborate throne dias in a very large and grandly painted and decorated room. The front of the card is embossed with a decorative border around the photographs. The back has the initials "M.F.H." and the name of the site. This stereograph is part of a number of tissue cards, many of which are dated 1877, and seems to have been from a grand tour of England, Germany, Italy and France.
The palace was originally built for Marie de Médicis, mother of king Louis XIII of France, on the site of an old hôtel particulier owned by the Duc de Piney-Luxembourg. Her architect was Salomon de Brosse. Louis commissioned the artists Nicolas Poussin and Philippe de Champaigne to decorate the Palace. However, by the time the palace had been finished, Marie de Médicis had been banished.

It was inherited by Marie's granddaughter, Anne, Duchess of Montpensier. The palace was not used until it was owned by Louis XVI's brother, the Comte de Provence. During the French Revolution, it was the center of the French Directory and later the first residence of Napoleon Bonaparte when he was First Consul of France

In the 19th century the palace was extensively remodeled, with a new garden façade by Alphonse de Gisors (1836-1841), and a cycle of paintings (1845-1847) by Eugène Delacroix that was added to the library.

Click to Enlarge